"Your greatest contribution to the Kingdom of God may not be something you do, but someone you raise." ~Andy Stanley

December 1, 2014

Ahhh! Advent already!

It hit me after we got home from church last night, that it was the first night of Advent! Already!

We made reading an Advent/Christmas devotional book nightly, a family tradition years ago to help us keep focused on 'the reason for the season.'

Way back when it seemed crazy to get out our china tea cups and hand them to little kids. -But we wanted them to sense how special this season is. The sweets were a way to motivate 4 wiggly kids to listen. :-)  And still their favorite part of it today.


Way back when they would fight over who got to blow out the candles when we finished. -And who will ever forget the time when one little girl blew harder than one little guy and hot wax splattered on his face.
Way back when every seat in the living room was
full. -Now there are just usually two kids around to do it with.

Sometimes we start out with good intentions in the beginning of December and then things get crazy busy and we don't finish whatever the book is we are reading but that's OK.

The book we are reading this year is: The Greatest Gift by Ann Voskamp. She has such a poetic way with words! Love her!


Last year, when Hubby and our youngest two were all away on trips, and I had more time on my hands than I knew what to do with, I cut out the 25 ornaments that go with each devotion. So, I thought we were all ready to start.
Then, last night I remembered that you are suppose to make a "Jesse Tree" out of a branch to go with the study of Christ's genealogy! (a family tree of His family tree, so to speak)
And this explains why I was outside at 9:30 PM cutting dead branches off a tree! As luck would have it, my neighbors across the street were sitting outside! So, they may think I'm a little crazy now, for pruning in the dark and I can't blame them. ; )

But, here it is!

We pulled off night number one.



Hubby was feeling pretty light-headed so he couldn't join us.


 Here's hoping we read all 25 devotions this year!

~Becky

No comments: