"Your greatest contribution to the Kingdom of God may not be something you do, but someone you raise." ~Andy Stanley

April 1, 2015

Wednesdays in the Word

Sometimes I think that as long as something ugly, unkind or negative doesn't come out of my mouth, then it is all good. But unfortunately, even though I forget this often, this just isn't the case.
My prayer needs to be "May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer." Ps.19:14

Reading these verses this morning reminded me of how very important the state of our heart is because all kinds of evil starts there FIRST:

"What comes out of a man, that defiles a man. For from within, out of the HEART of men, proceed evil thoughts, adulteries, fornications, murders, thefts, coveteousness, wickedness, deceit, lewdness, an evil eye, blasphemy, pride, foolishness. All these evil things come from within and defile a man."
(I have no idea what an 'evil eye' is but I'm sure I don't want one) ; ) Mk 7:20-21

This explains why the guarding of our hearts is so important. "Keep your heart with all diligence for out of it spring the issues of life." Prov.4:23

Jer. 17:9 says "The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?"

Which makes this prayer a necessity:
"Search me, O God, and know my heart, try me and know my thoughts, And see if there is any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting." Ps.139:23-24

And this prayer for good measure on a regular basis:
"Set a guard over my mouth, Lord; Keep watch over the door of my lips." : )  Amen!
 Ps. 141:3

~Becky

No comments: